Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. You can read more at the bottom of this page or read my full disclosure on my Affiliate Disclosure Page
While reading about essential oils, you may have heard about something called Thieves essential oil. Thieves oil is a blend of several essential oils:
Cinnamon Bark: Made from the bark, leaves, or twigs of several species of cinnamon tree
Clove: Made from the undeveloped buds of the flowers found on the Eugenia caryophyllata species of clove tree
Eucalyptus Radiata: Obtained from the leaves of Eucalyptus plants, which are native to Australia
Lemon: Extracted from the rinds of the lemon fruit, Citrus limon
Rosemary: Derived from the herb rosemary, Rosmarinus officinalis
Each of the oils contained in Thieves blend has its own properties, but when combined give us the amazing Thieves essential oil benefits!
How did Thieves Essential Oil Get Its Name?
In France during the 15th century, Thieves would sneak into graveyards to rob from the dead and dying. Legend says they protected themselves by creating a special aromatic combination composed of clove, rosemary, and other botanicals.
Today Thieves essential oil blend is inspired by those tales of old. Combining Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Lemon oil, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils, this blend is one of Young Living’s most popular products. Use it with household cleaning products or diffuse it to freshen up a room.
Read on for Thieves essential oil benefits and uses.
Thieves essential oil blend joined the Young Living family in 1994.
Young Living is the only essential oil company that can boast seed to seal. They own all of their own farms and are the highest quality of essential oils on the market.
Thieves essential oil; Thieves essential oil uses
Thieves oil is such an amazing oil that it was named as one of six oils that do almost everything.
Some of the Thieves essential oil benefits include things like boosting immune function and fighting infections.
But what does the research say about Thieves oil? And how can you use it in your day-to-day life? Read on to discover more.Each of the oils contained in Thieves blend has its own properties, but when combined give us the amazing Thieves essential oil benefits and uses! Click To Tweet
Thieves Essential Oil Benefits and Research
You may see Thieves oil showing as having the following benefits:
- boosting the immune system
- having antimicrobial activity
- fighting nasal and sinus congestion
- promoting respiratory and cardiovascular health
- energizing or uplifting mood
Research on the Thieves oil blend, itself is very limited. An older study found that diffused Thieves’ oil significantly lowered the airborne levels of three different types of bacteria.
A lot more research has been done on Thieves essential oil benefits of the individual oils contained in the blend.
What’s discussed below is a snapshot of some of the research that’s been performed on the individual plant oils often used in Thieves oil blends.
Thieves Essential Oil Benefits of Individual Oils in Blend
Antimicrobial properties of Thieves Essential Oil
- A 2017 study found that low concentrations of cinnamon and clove oil had high antimicrobial activity against persistent cultures of Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease.
- A 2018 study found that vapors of cinnamon oil inhibited the growth of respiratory pathogens like Haemophilus influenzae and Streptococcus pneumoniae in a petri dish. But eucalyptus oil had little activity.
- A 2012 study showed that eucalyptus oil had antimicrobial activity against two types of bacteria that can cause disease in humans: Escherichia coli (E. coli) and Staphylococcus aureus (skin infections).
- Overall, fewer studies have been performed on lemon oil. But two studies from 2019 observed that it has antimicrobial properties.
Thieves Essential Oil Benefits for Wound Healing
- A 2019 study in mice found that topical application of cinnamaldehyde, a component of cinnamon oil, promoted wound healing. It also reduced the amount of bacteria in wounds infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- A 2018 study on rats found that a specialized emulsion preparation containing eucalyptus oil promoted wound healing.
Thieves Essential Oil Benefits for Pain Relief
- A 2019 study on mice looked at potential pain-relieving effects of eucalyptus oil. Researchers found that injecting or inhaling eucalyptus oil might be effective in relieving some types of pain.
Effects Thieves Essential Oil Has on Mood
- A very small 2013 study investigated the effects of inhaling rosemary oil on mood. By recording and comparing body changes such as heart rate, blood pressure, skin temperature, and other physical measures, researchers concluded that rosemary oil had a stimulating effect.
- In the same study, researchers also found that participants who inhaled rosemary oil felt fresher or more active. Increases in respiratory rate, heart rate, and blood pressure were also observed.
Uses for Thieves Oil
Here are some ways you can enjoy Thieves essential oil benefits in your day-to-day life.
Diffuse up to 10 minutes 3 times daily. We love Thieves (it smells like Christmas!) and will diffuse up to 6 hours.
You can customize your Thieves oil experience by adding a few drops of Orange, Tangerine, Nutmeg, or Lemon Myrtle essential oil.
Thieves essential oil benefits of diffusing:
- providing ambiance to a room
- promoting alertness
- elevating mood
- reducing feelings of stress or anxiety
- Cleaning and purifying the air
- Assisting with breathing issues or congestion
Use Thieves oil in a diffuser to:
- Welcome the fresh, clean fragrance of Thieves into your classroom or playroom to neutralize strong odors in the air.
- Create an inviting ambiance by filling your living room or kitchen with the spicy, homespun aroma.
- Surround yourself with the comforting scent at your desk for an uplifting and cozy workday.
- Counteract odors near trash cans by flooding the air with this delicious, homey fragrance.
NOTE: Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use. Avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying the product.
To use Thieves oil for diffusion, carefully follow the product instructions that came with your diffuser. This is important, because the directions may vary by product. Generally, for Young Living diffusers, you simply fill with water to the indicated line and add 10-15 drops of your desired oil.
Steam inhalation is simply adding essential oils to a bowl of steaming water. The hot water vaporizes the oil, allowing it to be inhaled with the steam. Steam inhalation may help with respiratory congestion or sinus issues.
To use Thieves oil for steam inhalation:
- Add several drops of Thieves oil to steaming water. You may want to start with just a couple drops so the scent isn’t overwhelming.
- Place a towel over your head and lean over the bowl of water.
- Keeping your eyes closed, breathe in deeply through your nose.
Thieves Oil for Massage
You can also make massage oils using essential oils. To do this, the Thieves oil must be diluted in another type of oil, which is called a carrier oil. Carrier oils can include things like jojoba oil and coconut oil.
The University of Minnesota Center for Spirituality and Healing recommends that the total percentage of essential oil shouldn’t exceed 3 to 5 percent of the total solution volume.
The below is a downloadable, printable PDF for you to use as reference. Just click below!
Lotions and Creams
You can also add Thieves oil to unscented lotions and creams. These preparations can then be used for purposes such as soothing, cleansing, or helping with wound healing.
Like with massage oils, you’ll need to dilute Thieves oil in the cream or lotion before applying it to your skin.
The National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy recommends that the final essential oil concentration be 1 to 2.5 percent for normal skin and 0.5 to 1 percent for sensitive skin.
This is our FAVORITE Thieves Body Butter Recipe. It’s “manly” enough smelling that even my husband likes it.
Whipped Body Butter
- 1 cup organic fractionated coconut oil
- 1 cup organic solid cocoa butter (do not use lotion)
- 15 drops of your favorite topical/aromatic essential oil (we love Cedarwood, Lavender, and Frankincense essential oils) or Thieves oil.
- Warm a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, then add coconut oil and cocoa butter. Melt until completely liquefied, about 4–5 minutes.
- Pour into a glass mixing bowl and place in the refrigerator for 30–45 minutes to cool and just set but not harden.
- Stir in essential oils.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whip until firm peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- Gently transfer to a seal-able jar or container. We use canning jars for this. Store at room temperature to avoid melting or solidifying.
- Massage into dry skin!
Using Thieves Oil in a Spray Application
You can also use Thieves oil in a spray. You may find this helpful for enhancing the scent of a room. We have DIY air freshener in all of our bathrooms. Here’s one of our favorite air fresheners with Thieves oil.
To use Thieves oil in an air freshener spray:
- 4 oz spray bottle (You could use 2 oz, just do less oils)
- 30 drops of essential oil (approx.)
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel (I’ve linked to the one I use and love)
- I also like to add about 10-15 drops of Orange essential oil – it boosts mood and adds a beautiful scent.
NOTE: When using citrus oils only use a glass bottle as the citrus may break down plastic
- Top the rest of your bottle with distilled water
- Shake every time before using
There are sooo many great home cleaning and personal care recipes with Thieves essential oil benefits including:
Refreshing musty carpets by adding 5 drops of Thieves to a cup of baking soda; combine well and let sit overnight until the oil is absorbed. Sprinkle over carpets and vacuum thoroughly.
You may also love Thieves Household Cleaner, an amazing, powerful, bacteria-fighting cleaner containing all the same Thieves essential oil benefits.
In our home, Thieves has replaced ALL our store-bought cleaners.
We create DIY blends (that take minutes) for wood cleaner, stainless steel cleaner, toilet bowl and shower cleaner and so much more.
You can even ingest Thieves essential oil to give your body a boost. We love to add a drop to our daily drink of Ningxia red to knock out any cold or bug that is coming on. Check out the video below:
Interested in a Thieves oil or cleaning sample? Email me at [email protected] with the subject line: Thieves oil (or Thieves cleaning), depending on what you would like.
I just know that you’ll love Thieves essential oil benefits as much as we do.
Ready to grab your own Thieves essential oil?